Thursday, December 4, 2008

My pregnancy soapbox

I don't know if you are all watching the baby ticker still...but if you are you'll know that it says 34 days today. YIKES!!! Where has the year gone, my friends? Today we had an appointment and an ultrasound to check on our little guy's growth. Good news! He's just fine. He weighing in at almost six pounds already and measuring at 35 weeks 3 days. Yay! Go Easton! The funny part is that my belly is still measuring at 30 centimeters like last time. I should be at 35. No wonder my back hurts so badly. He's camped on my spine. I forgive him. I've decided that he is every bit as uncomfortable as I am. It can't be fun to be all squished up inside me either. He's still very, very active and has begun to drop. The drop has caused some unpleasant side-effects I never knew about. I've been very nauseated, dizzy, and my back feels like it's about to snap, but my doctor assured me that it's my body's natural reaction to the pressure. Anyhow, with that, I'm just going to take one second and get up on my box. I've been very offended lately by people who seem to think that it is their place to judge me or others who don't particularly enjoy pregnancy. I am very grateful to have been given this opportunity, even though it is not what I had anticipated it to be. Kade and I tried very hard for 9 months to get pregnant, and I do not regret our decision. I am extremely happy that Easton is growing inside of me, even when pregnancy is making me somewhat miserable. Pregnancy is different for every woman because we all have different bodies and builds. It obviously will be less enjoyable for some and more enjoyable for others. Even though I am hoping he will come a little early, it is not solely because I would like to have my body back. It is for many, many reasons. If you would like to find out those reasons, please feel free to ask before you make assumptions. And of course, I would never want him to come a minute early at the expense of his own health. I assure you that I am not that selfish. I would share my body with him for as long as he needed to be a healthy, normal baby. I don't think that there is anything wrong with not being in love with the whole experience of pregnancy. Good for you, if you are. That really is a blessing and a talent. But please, don't judge me and make me feel badly because I don't enjoy elastic pants, nausea, sore ribs, and swollen ankles. But I am grateful to the Lord for trusting me with such a responsibility, and despite what some think, I do thank Him daily for giving me such a miracle. I already love my son more than I can express and I can't wait to meet him. I already know he is one amazing little guy. I'm not ashamed to say that I would rather hold him in my arms than in my belly. Get over it.

4 comments:

C.B. said...

Nausea was the worst for me. I just wanted Tegan out too towards the end. I would never think you are selfish for not feeling happy all the time cause you are pregnant

Nikki and Kade said...

I just want to add that this post was not aimed at anyone in particular. Please don't take offense and worry that I was talking about one of you. I just needed to vent a bit.

Wildflower said...

Nicole –

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that people have made disparaging (sp?) comments to you about your pregnancy or things you’ve said about being pregnant - people are so rude and/or don’t seem to think before they open their big yaps – but it still appalls me that it happens. Like we don’t have enough to deal with when we are with child…we certainly don’t need others making rude, insensitive and bone-headed statements – yeesh. You are entitled to feel any old way you want about YOUR pregnancy. To each their own, right? Anyone who knows you knows that you would never in a million years do anything to jepordize the health of your little guy. Don’t doubt for a second that you won’t be the most fantastic mother to little Easton! Chin up and hang in there, girl!!!

~Kim
Ps. I hope you don’t mind I’ve been reading your blog :0)

Rose said...

Wow, Such anger! I know what this is all about, as you have told me about it all. Please try not to be too hard on some people. Especially those who have not endured the same things as you. They cannot completely understand until they have gone through the whole gammet of experiences that an expectant mother does. Could it be jealousy? Frustration at the inability as of yet? Possibly. At any rate, I hope you gat all you needed to say off your chest. I think you will be an amazing mother and anyone who knows you well at all knows that you are thrilled about the prospect of being a new mother. The whole experience is not always pleasant, but you will succeed as you have always been a victorious child yourself. Love ya tons, Mom
(how very curious...the word verification that I am required to type in is "bundel". How very IRONIC!