Monday, June 22, 2009

Dear Media, You disgust me.

As you all know, I frequently use my blog as a soapbox. So, in keeping with tradition...Here I go again. The media makes me sick. I can't walk by a magazine stand without seeing at least one headline blaring who is fat, thin, anorexic, in treatment, etc. The latest headline did catch my eye, however. Stephanie Pratt (from the MTV reality show "The Hills") declares "The Hills made me Bulimic." HUH? Since when can a TV show (which you claim is not scripted) "give" you a deadly mental illness? Excuse me? Yeah...it can't. The only disease is seems to have given you, Stephanie, is a deep need for attention. In an interview with MTV she admits that she has struggled with her eating disorder for long before "The Hills" began. That's more like it. She also says she is just trying to draw attention to the issue of eating disorders and to help parents better recognize the signs. Hmm...I'm not convinced. I don't doubt the fact that she legitimately struggles with this illness, but I sincerely doubt her reasons for making it public. Especially if you're way of bringing it into the limelight is by telling a trashy magazine. Secondly, to Wrigley Gum: In response to your recent ad campaign: GUM IS NOT A SNACK! If you're hungry, eat for heaven's sakes! Morons. Also, Dear Taco Bell: Please do not encourage your customers to eat a "Fourth Meal". Late night binging is NOT healthy. And last but not least--- Dear Dreyers ice cream: Kindly change the name of your new ice cream flavor: "Red, White, and No More Blues". Ice cream does not solve problem. Please don't convince people to emotionally eat. And Dear Media: You disgust me. Sincerely, Me.

Oh and one more thing: I swear to never watch Jon and Kate + 8 again. It's time to move on. I refuse to give ratings to a show that has ruined such a beautiful family. The end.

1 comment:

Nat and Chad said...

I would like to back you up on everything that was just said in this post! And P.S. You crack me up! Keep posting stuff like this! It makes my life!