Monday, June 30, 2008

Who do you listen to?

So I've been miserably sick this week with what I believe is a sinus infection from my terrible allergies. I cough, I sneeze, I can't breathe, I can't sleep. Awful. I'm starting to get very frustrated. Saturday I went to the store and stood in front of the allergy medications and decongestants for about twenty minutes reading all the labels and wondering which were safe and which weren't. I decided to call my sisters (who were wonderful) and do some research of my own online. What I've learned is that everyone has something different to say about what's safe to do when you're pregnant. My doctor told me that most over-the-counter medicines were safe. MOST. Not all. Of course, I assume I'll pick out the one that isn't approved. One website says a medicine is safe, another says don't take it. Other mommy's doctors have said don't take anything in the first trimester. Another says take Benedryl. Another says take Actifed. Who do you listen to? Of course, no (good) mom wants to take something or do something that will harm her baby. So here I am. I took Tiffany's advice and stuck with the Sudafed. I've decided to use a nasal spray as well. Hopefully, the combo will make a difference for me and make no difference for baby. But most of all I really hope that I figure out who is actually right in all this business.

2 comments:

tiffrsmith said...

Good luck with that. The advice only gets more confusing after the baby is born, I promise. At some point you have to throw out all the books and websites and (sometimes unsolicited) advice and just do whatever you have to to survive. Trust your gut; you'll be fine.

Karissa said...

Isn't being pregnant magical? I took sudafed for a sinus infection in the first trimester with Elli and she didn't come out deformed or anything so I say stick with it and don't stress....there's someone out there to tell you EVERYTHING you do is unsafe when pregnant, but babies are tougher than you think.