Monday, March 30, 2009

Even more guilt over formula

So to make matters worse, Easton doesn't tolerate formula well. I knew this already from the few times I had given him the little 2 oz. bottles of shelf stable formula they give at the hospital. He throws up everything for about 24 hours after he has it. No bueno. I talked to my pediatrician about it and he recommended that I try Enfamil Gentlease. I semi got over my guilt today and trekked off to Sam's Club tonight to get a HUGE can of formula. So I'm feeling experimental and I decide to give him just a few ounces tonight before bed to see how he does and see if formula fed babies really do sleep longer. I mixed a few ounces of breastmilk and a few ounces of formula to make a five ounce bottle. A few ounces in, he puked all over me. Great, huh? Serves me right? I'm hoping it was partially because he was too full because it wasn't time for a feeding yet. I was reading about it online and it seems that you need to give the baby atleast a week with each formula to really try it out before switching again-- even if they are puking all over the place. So now my poor little Easto has to vomit all day just so that I don't have to pump. Talk about a major guilt trip. I'm going to keep at it though and just really ease him into it with more breastmilk mixed with the formula. Poor little guy......

2 comments:

Natty said...

Don't worry, my baby puked the first little while too.... I just started giving half breastmilk half formula for like one bottle a day then two bottles a day and so on. Its easier on their little tummies if you slowly put them on it.

Mike and Michelle said...

I'm sorry that doesn't sound like any fun, good luck with the formula, I hope he decides to like it soon :-)