Sunday, March 29, 2009

Guilty....

I love being a mom. I absolutely adore it. But some things that have come along with it are not so fun. The most unpleasant being the added measure of guilt I feel over EVERYTHING. If it's been a little too long since a diaper change: Guilty. If I let Easton fuss a little bit more than I "should": Guilty. If I don't pay constant attention to him while he's awake: Guilty. Holding him to put him to sleep: Guilty. And my newest guilt companion: Considering using formula. I have been pumping exclusively since Easton was about 2 weeks old. It is important to me that my son has the very best nutrition and naturally, that means giving him breast milk. However, nursing wasn't our strong point and I'm over the desire to overcome those hardships. So, I've been toting around my pump and giving it my all for 9 weeks now. I'll admit that at first this seemed like a workable solution. I set the goal to give him breastmilk for atleast six months. I'm almost halfway there. It may seem like a short time to someone else. Just a wrinkle in time, right? If you think pumping or nursing is not hard, you can come over and let me give you titty twisters constantly for atleast 15 minutes several times a day and then you would know what it's like to be me. Besides the discomfort, it's very inconvenient. When nursing, you can find somewhere to sit just about anywhere and do the deed. Not with pumping. I don't like planning my day around the need to pump or being forced to lug the machine around with me and pray that I'll be able to find a place to plug in. So, due to my growing hate of pumping, I'm considering putting Easton on formula. Ugh. Even writing it down floods me with guilt. I know that formula is very well made and is still very nutritious. But I think any mother who has breastfed will agree that there are benefits beyond measure that formula can never give. Not only is breast milk healthier-- it is also FREE. I can't believe I'm about to pay $25 bucks for a can of something that my body makes a better version of. I'm not going to go into a pro-milk rant here, because it's useless and will only make me feel more guilty. I'm on the fence. Is it so wrong for a mommy to be a little selfish with her body and time? Should I just live with my own discomfort to provide for Easton? Who knows? I feel like such a wimp when I read or hear about moms who pumped or nursed for a year (or for more than 11 weeks for that matter.) Why should one be expected to enjoy depending on a machine to provide the natural comforts of not having rock hard boobs and milk soaked shirts? I may as well change my name to Bessy and move to a dairy. I feel so sad for all those sweet dairy cows who have to put up with being milked for years and years, so that we can have a drink. Perhaps subconsciously this is why I've never drank milk. I always knew it was cruel deep down. I'm exaggerating of course, but still... Anyhow, none of this rambling solves my dilemma. To milk or not to milk? That IS the question.....I guess I'll figure it out later. I have to go pump now......

5 comments:

C.B. said...

Don't feel bad. You are doing the best you can. I have nephews who were fed straight formula and they are great. Tegan was half formula and half breastmilk since she was born. I made it 8 months, and sometimes it was hard for me. My milk production was low by then, so there wasn't much point to continue. Dont feel bad. You are doing all you can.

P.s. As I'm typing this Tegan is watching baby einstein. Babies aren't supposed to watch T.V. until they are two. GUILTY!

Natty said...

Don't feel guilty it is 100% normal... Not all women LOVE breastfeeding... And to have to pump is the devil! I had to pump when I went back to work with my baby at 3 months and HATED it! I even went out and bought a $350 pump... Don't believe people the nice one's SUCK TOO! Go buy your formula from Sam's Club the members mark brand, its only $20 and I go through about 2 a month.... Read the ingredients EXACTLY the SAME as ENFAMIL! Any amount of breastmilk is great for your baby, so if you need to stop now don't worry he'll be fine.... Plus a happy mommy makes a happy baby! Everyone has their own opinions don't worry about them and do what's BEST FOR YOU! I know you probably don't know me, I know Kade, and also i am Nicki's sister. I just thought I would give you a little comment....

Natty said...

Sam's Club Members Mark Brand is also the size of like 2 of the regular Enfamil cans! More Formula and ALOT Less $$$$

tiffrsmith said...

It is a dilemma... Know that whatever decision you make, Easton will be just fine. My pediatrician basically encouraged my to feed Little Man formula; breastfeeding is hard work, and pumping is worse. How much milk do you have stored? I'll bet that if you pump less, use your stored milk, and supplement a little with formula, you'll be able to make it to the 6-month mark. The only advice I'll give you is, if you do decide to switch, let your milk dry up SLOWLY! You'd be surprised the amount of hormones you having surging through your body just from nursing; mess that equilibrium up too quickly, and you'll really feel crazy.

The Moores said...

amen sister, breastfeedig is hard work and pumping is even harder. I made it a little shy of 3 months and I felt like I had done my motherly dutey. It is very time consuming, so believe me I understand. You are a good mom and just look at how dang cute he is. ooh i could just eat him!